Injury at work can cause loss of function and loss of earnings. We have included some advice below to see how you can potentially prevent some injuries at work. We provide a comprehensive assessment and advice on ergonomics and education on preventing injury in the workplace.
Sitting at Work:
- Move regularly –every 1 hour get up and move.
- Ensure your work chair is ergonomic – it needs to be 3 way adjustable i.e. 1- Height 2-Back rest tilts 3- Seat tilts
- The tilts on the chair (both back rest and seat tilt) needs to be just right to be able to support the natural curve of your spine, so your back can rest comfortably into the chairs backrest.
- Ensure your desk is the right height and the keyboard/mouse are close to the edge of your desk, and the screen is at or just below eye level
Think tall! Lift up your chest and gently pull your shoulders back, imagine that a string in the middle of your head pulling you up tall with the aim being to get your head and neck in-line with your shoulders. Try not to over exert these movements; you should still feel relaxed and natural.
Avoid sitting slumped in the car seat and driving for too long without a break. When driving, try a rolled up towel or lumbar roll in the small of your back. Move the car seat closer to the steering wheel to prevent over stretching your arms and shoulders. Interrupt a long journey with regular breaks, which allow you to get out of the car and stretch your back.
When you lift…
- Plant your feet firmly – get a stable base.
- Bend at your knees – not your waist.
- Tighten your abdominal muscles to support your spine.
- Get a good grip – use both hands.
- Keep the load close to your body.
- Use your leg muscles as you lift.
- Keep your back straight; keep it in its natural posture.
- Lift steadily and smoothly without jerking.
- Breathe – If you must hold your breath to lift it, it is too heavy – GET HELP.
- Lift from the floor.
- Twist and lift.
- Lift with one hand (unbalanced)
- Lift loads across obstacles.
- Lift while reaching or stretching.
- Lift from an uncomfortable posture.
- Don’t fight to recover a dropped object.
- Don’t hold your breath while lifting.
At the hospital, we offer an interdisciplinary and holistic approach to work injury prevention using the latest evidence based techniques and technology, benchmarked to International standards. We offer services from screening, post injury management, prehab, rehab and return to workhbg.
The hospital Offers Specific advice and education on the prevention of any potential injuries caused in the workplace including:
- Lower back pain
- Neck Pain
- Repetitive strain injury
- Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis
- Ligamentous Injuries
- Shoulder Injuries
- Achilles Tendon Injuries
- Tailbone Injuries
- Plantar fasciitis
- Muscle Injuries
- Hip injuries
Treatment, Research & Technology
The hospital offers an individualized program and education from prehab to rehab and combines evidence-based treatment and innovation based on current and evolving technologies.
Our Interdisciplinary Team Will Focus On, But Not Limited To:
- Pain Management
- Flexibility and Joint ROM
- Strength and Endurance
- Proprioception and Coordination
- Functional Rehabilitation
- The use of Orthotics
Optimizing management in these cases can lead to increased health, improved sporting performance, improved psychological well-being and increased productivity.
Call us for any Inquiry